Carrick History Society
Comman Eachdraidh Charraige

Although this harbour town dates from 1668 when it was made a municipal burgh incorporated by charter,

evidence of human settlement there shows human occupation in the Mesolithic Period when hunter gatherers and fishermen where landing and settling in the area. Traces of two Roman camps remain just to the north of the mouth of the Water of Girvan on the flat fields of Girvan Mains Farm. These are believed to date from the time of Agricolas campaigns between 78 and 84 BC. Although much diminished the towns harbour still provides a landing stage for fishing boats.