The name suggests Northumbrian origins which is supported by the parish church being dedicated to St Cuthbert. It is a CategoryA-Listed building of architectural and historic significance. While the main part of the church dates from the 18th century, it has a pre-Reformation aisle with a traceried window indicating links with Crossraguel Abbey. Below it is a fine, arched tomb with effigies of a man and woman in repose. The arch contains the arms of John Kennedy of Blairquhan (d. 1501) who adapted the South Transept as his chantry chapel in 1475. A particular mason’s mark gives a solid connection to Crossraguel as does the cross with cross-crosslets on the apex of the gable.